Al Galileo Siciliano - Bed and Breakfast Palermo

Cathedral of Palermo

The Metropolitan Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the largest Catholic place of worship in the city of Palermo and episcopal seat of the homonymous metropolitan archdiocese. The church was built in 1184 by Archbishop Gualtiero Offamilio area of the first basilica. For a short period the church was, subsequently, converted into a mosque, when the Saracens invaded Palermo. The church, made ??up of different styles, has undergone several alterations over the centuries. The last most weighty was the end of the eighteenth century, when, on the occasion of structural consolidation, is radically remade the interior designed by Ferdinando Fuga.